Album Spotlight: Tweet - Southern Hummingbird




Tweet released her debut album, "Southern Hummingbird" on April 2, 2002. I remember quite well cause I bought it. At the time Tweet was going head to head with Ashanti who released her self-titled debut on the same day. I was definitely Team Tweet at the time.

Tweet burst on the scene with the hit single, "Oops(Oh My)" which featured some rather questionable lyrics. Tweet went on to say the lyrics were about "self-love" which translates into masturbation. The songwriting was very clever and the video just added to the allure of the song's lyrics.

For the album's second single, Tweet released, "Call Me" which wasn't as big of a hit but it provided Tweet some exposure with several phone companies for obvious reasons. With a song title like "Call Me" what do you expect?

The album's third single, "Smoking Cigarettes" never quite got off the ground and the video was never released. The song is one of my favorites as well as the haunting intro, "So Much To Say".

I did note how Tweet's album featured a lot of one word song titles similar to how Ashanti's did. There was "Complain", "Heaven", "Motel", and the Prince esque, "Drunk".

The album was heavily produced by Timbaland and Missy Elliott and their influence is heard throughout the album.

----------------
Now playing: Jackie O - Monkey
via FoxyTunes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quick's Catch Up Interview

Music Feed: Famous Duos

*UPDATED* Music Feed: Janet Jackson's Most Sexualized Songs: REVISITED