Music Feed: 2010 BET Awards Recap

So last night BET aired their 2010 BET Awards and it was the first time the show aired on Sunday. Normally the telecast would air on Tuesdays night. The telecast overall was pretty decent to me. There was one huge surprise in an award show that is usually full of surprises.

The show opened up with the controversial Kanye West performing his new single; "Power" atop of a mountain with a backdrop to match the mood. After hearing the song once again; I realized I'm not a big fan of it.

The R&B female artist award went to Alicia Keys who was a big winner(Best Collab with Jay-Z for "Empire State Of Mind") that night and performed several times(a medley of her hits including the #1 "Unthinkable(I'm Ready)" and for the Prince tribute.

Usher performed his #2 R&B single; "There Goes My Baby" and had a little difficulty voice wise which seemed to be a recurring theme as did Trey Songz when he performed "Yo Side Of The Bed". Speaking of Trey he wont for R&B male artist and he rightfully deserved it.

T.I. came back and performed "I'm Back" but to be honest I don't really remember. It was pretty much a blur as most of the performances were. There was plenty of smoke for a lot of the sets including Diddy-Dirty Money's "Hello Good Morning" which featured Rick Ross, T.I. and Nicki Minaj.

Drake won for Rap male artist and Nicki Minaj won for Rap female artist. Drake's performance of "Over" soon turned into a showcase for Young Jeezy and his single; "Lose My Mind". Nicki Minaj popped in and out of different sets performing a variety of her well known hits including "My Chick Bad" and "All I Do Is Win Remix".

The surprise of the night was when R&B legend DeBarge sung a medley of his hits including; "All This Love", "Time Will Reveal" and more. Monica and Deniece Williams sung "Everything To Me" and went into the song it sampled; Deniece's own "Silly".

One of my personal highlights was Chris Brown's tribute to Michael Jackson in which he suddenly and unexpectedly broke down. It was a very moving tribute and redeemed Chris from a lot of the negativity he has endured lately. He later won a "Fandemonium" award and he promised everyone "I let you down once but not again I promise!".

The Prince tribute featured Janelle Monae on "Let's Get Crazy", Esperanza Spalding performing my favorite Prince song; "If I Was Your Girlfriend", Alicia Keys performing "Adore" and all on top of the piano grinding it out with baby and all, and Patti LaBelle who always brings the house down with "Purple Rain".

It was a very eventful night overall. I feel like a lot of the performances were blah. There were a lot of technical issues but that is BET for you. I think I was expecting a few more surprises though but maybe next year.

Here are some other things you might of missed or simply want to know if you missed the telecast!
*Nia Long and Larenz Tate perform an impromptu dialog from their 1995 movie; "Love Jones".
*BET's "106 & Park" hosts Terrance and Rocsi kiss!
*Nicki Minaj's lip syncing throughout several of her performance sets!
*Queen Latifah acting out some of her famous roles such as Cleo in "Set It Off" and basically outing herself!
*Alicia Keys kissing fiance Swizz Beats.
*Patti LaBelle and Chaka Khan kissing after Prince tribute.
*Prince catching Patti LaBelle's shoe after she kicked it off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wyclef Jean Responds To Scam Accusations!

*UPDATED* Music Feed: Janet Jackson's Most Sexualized Songs: REVISITED

Music Feed: The 2015 Billboard Music Awards