Album Spotlight: Chaka Khan - I Feel For You

Chaka Khan's "I Feel For You" is one of my favorite albums of all time. I realized this maybe a few years ago. This was an album I grew up on mainly because my mother owned it. I liked it then and I've obviously come to love it now.

The sound on the album is very dated because at the time it was released; 1984 R&B was very high tech and Chaka was simply keeping up with the times. The music here is excellent and the production superb. This is how albums used to be; 10 songs or less. You see that coming back now in more recent album and it is a bit disturbing for some who want more bang for their buck. The less is more approach works to fine effect here.

Chaka is good for singing in such a high pitch and often her pronunciation of certain words leaves me baffled and scrambling for the music lyrics sites. There are still a few songs here where I still don't actually know what she is saying.

Now onto to the music here; the album starts with the wonderful; "This Is My Night" which got the video treatment and everything. The ballad "Stronger Than Before" is one of my favorites and is a song that has been covered by a few lesser known artists. The title track is a Prince remake and was a big hit for Chaka. "Hold Her" is another favorite of mine as well as the catchy "Eye To Eye"(which I always find myself singing).

There is also "Chinatown" where Chaka pays homage to all things Chinese(ying ying etc). "La Flamme" is also a must hear and that is one of the songs where its hard to understand what Chaka is singing. It's almost like she is singing in another language at times; I'm not sure if that is good or bad but that can be overlooked.

You should definitely check out this album and add it to your collection if you don't have it already.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quick's Catch Up Interview

Music Feed: Famous Duos

*UPDATED* Music Feed: Janet Jackson's Most Sexualized Songs: REVISITED