I Didn't Know My Own Strength

Whitney Houston is currently in the UK during a press release for her new album, "I Look To You" due September 1. The album's long rumored first single, "I Didn't Have My Own Strength" leaked out and the response was lukewarm. The vocals on the song were raspy and scratchy. Fact is that is how Whitney has sounded over the last few years. It is no surprise that her voice is not what it used to be. I wish Arista and Clive Davis would stop making Whitney sing all these power ballads. They are just not in anymore. All Whitney needs is some strong, hip material similar to that on the "My Love Is Your Love" album.

Now the Alicia Keys song, "Million Dollar Bill" is being touted as the album's first single. And "I Didn't Know My Own Strength" was said to be a rough copy that leaked out. I think that was how Whitney did the song but the way it sounds, it sounds convincing. I think with the raspy and scratchy quality of Whitney's voice shows that she's been through some things and its clear that she has. It makes her music that more personal and even soulful.

Ginuwine has a really good CD and it is easily one of my favorites this year. Of course I could do without a few songs. Nonetheless I'm having issues about his single choices. It seems like he and his company know what songs they want for singles. It just seems like they don't know what order to release them. The album debuted at #1 on the R&B charts and #9 on the Pop charts. "Last Chance" went top 10 on the R&B charts.

I just feel like G needs a really strong 2nd single to keep this momentum going or before his album fades off. I think "Trouble" featuring Bun B is a great contender for 2nd single. "Get Involved" is just as good and is another favorite of mine. I just hope they make the right decisions.

I think that's the problem with a lot of albums. The artists and record companies don't pick the right singles.

Music Biz:
Kelis Plots New Album!

Kelis also seems in fact to follow the successes of colleagues Kid Cudi and Black Eyed Peas adding to his European album dance productions such as David Guetta French and Italian Crookers, in addition to Will.I.Am, Diplo & Switch and Pharrell Williams.
Kelis is definitely keeping busy and I am glad that she is working with Pharrell again.

----------------
Now playing: Solange - Dancing In The Dark
via FoxyTunes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quick's Catch Up Interview

Music Feed: Famous Duos

*UPDATED* Music Feed: Janet Jackson's Most Sexualized Songs: REVISITED