The Backlash
Music Biz:
Amerie On Columbia Records, Beyonce!
AHHA: Did you feel Columbia was down for your project? Their priority artist on their roster seems to be Beyoncé.Cassie Talks New Album!
Amerie: Every label should never have one priority artist. That’s not good because contracts run out and then what are you going to do? It’s always good to just nurture different talent and everyone has a different flavor. I just felt like I loved the staff, they were really, really cool on a personal level and had some really creative ideas, but it just wasn’t meshing.
A lot people said I really didn’t get the support that I should’ve had, marketing and all of those things, but it really wasn’t…you just really have to have that great match. It’s like a marriage. It just wasn’t working and I felt like that a little after my first project, kind of after my second one, too and then I was like, “I don’t know! I’m going to give this one more try one this one!” and then I was like, “O.K., this is not going to work,” and that’s when I decided it just needed to be a change.
AHHA: If you could just kind of touch on the title. The mind definitely goes certain places when you mention the title.Young Money Backlash!
Cassie: The last album, it was self-titled. It was a fast release because I had the single out and I just had to put an album out almost immediately. It was like I had no choice, kind of. And it wasn’t that it was bad. It was a great album, but I wanted people to be able to see who I was and the kind of music I like and what I really like to listen to. Electro Love is not really supposed to be taken literally. DJ Cassidy gave me the idea, and I just thought it fit the sound of the album perfectly with where it was going. It’s not electro music/house like hardcore but there is a good beat to dance to. And the lyrical content is dope. It’s all different. So I have a record with Pharrell that he wrote on. Tricky and Dream, Akon, like it’s just a good mix.
It seems the backlash from last week’s performance by hip hop artists Lil Wayne and Drake at the 2009 BET Awards has yet to end. IAMNOTEVERYGIRL.COM, a newly created website, has sparked a campaign to remove the song from radio airplay.
The website provides information how supporters can call, write, or leverage various social media platforms (like Facebook and Twitter) to request that radio stations consider removing or drastically limiting the song’s airplay to late night hours. Through efforts like ‘Call Mondays’, ‘Write Wednesdays’, or ‘Tweet Fridays’, IAMNOTEVERYGIRL.COM will continue throughout the month of July to help bring awareness to this cause.
Comments