Album Review: Pharrell - G I R L

G I R L is the debut album from Pharrell on the Columbia Records label. G I R L features the #1 Pop hit Happy also from the Despicable Me 2 soundtrack. Pharrell was riding high with multiple hit songs when this album was released, Blurred Lines and Get Lucky featuring Daft Punk were just some of them. He also landed production credits on high profile albums from Beyoncé & Jay Z among others. It had been a few years since Pharrell had released a proper studio album and now we have G I R L. I admit to be a big Pharrell fan but for some reason I wasn't excited about this album. Maybe it was because Happy was a little underwhelming to me and I got tired of it very quickly. Well skip a few months from the album's initial release and here we have an album review from yours truly. I found myself in desperate need of new music and I decided to give Pharrell's album a listen. I was pleasantly surprised by how upbeat and sexy the album was which works in Pharrell's favor. He sells each song very convincing. Marilyn Monroe, the album's title track is mesmerizing and its quick to get lost in its groove. Even better is Brand New featuring Justin Timberlake which is a Michael Jackson esque track. Hunter is funny with its sexual come-ons regarding the hunt for a woman. The song reminds me of a song that you would of heard back in the day from rock group Blondie(Deborah Harry anyone?). Pharrell also put his falsetto to fine use here as well. Gush is sexy and lush. Gust Of Wind with Daft Punk is fun and breezy. A lot of the songs here are perfect songs to play at a cookout or while in your car with the top or windows down, loud.
Album Highlights: Hunter, Gush, Brand New, Come Get It Bae,
Appearances: Miley Cyrus(Come Get It Bae), Alicia Keys(Know Who You Are), JoJo, Justin Timberlake, Kelly Osborne, Leah Labelle
Release Date: March 2, 2014
Label: Columbia
Singles: Come Get It Bae, Happy, Marilyn Monroe
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music Feed: The 2015 Billboard Music Awards

Cardi B. hits #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 with "Bodak Yellow"

Beyonce & Jay Z Confirm Tour