Album Review: Nicki Minaj - Pink Friday


|


I can't say I was exactly anticipating Nicki Minaj's debut album, "Pink Friday" in stores and online today. It wasn't until I heard the leaked; "Roman's Revenge" featuring Eminem. The song was leaked by Nicki herself and upon its leak; the song was a trending topic on twitter. Whenever anything is trending on twitter, its usually a big deal. Of course I scurried to hear this song and I was pleasantly surprised. I had to tell my best friend that the song leaked since he is a huge Nicki Minaj fan.

The song features Nicki as her alter ego; Roman Zolanski; a play at director Roman Polanski; known for his erratic behavior. The song; an obvious dis to Lil' Kim is sparse in production and features Eminem tapping into Slim Shady. Here, both rappers trade bars ridiculing their haters and just plain people in general. The song works because its zany and Nicki delivers some of her most outrageous rhymes and vocals to date.

As for the rest of the album; "Pink Friday" opens up with "I'm The Best" which is pretty forgettable to me. Much better is "Did It On 'Em" which is easily one of my favorite songs on the album. The song features a lot of lyrics that stand out and are simply funny and catchy. I find myself repeating a lot of those lines throughout the day and using them on my friend.

Not only are there the boisterous Hip Hop songs, there is a overabundance of Pop songs in the form of "Fly" featuring Rihanna, "Save Me", and "Check It Out" featuring will.i.am. which all work but may disappoint the hardcore Nicki Minaj mixtape fans. These songs do display Nicki's versatility as does the singles, "Your Love" and "Right Thru Me" which have all fared well on the charts.

The Swizz Beats production; "Here I Am" is another favorite of mine and I like the mood of the song. "Moment 4 Life" featuring Drake is another standout.

There are a lot of great moments here and a lot of potential singles. Like label mate, Drake's debut; "Thank Me Later", I think this album will produce multiple hit singles(which in fact it already has). I definitely see this album having a long shelf life on the charts.

All in all Nicki produced a thorough album to me. Its not what everyone expected but then again that's part of her appeal. She definitely went left when everyone though she would go right. You have to respect that.

----------------
Now playing: R. Kelly - Real Talk
via FoxyTunes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music Feed: The 2015 Billboard Music Awards

Cardi B. hits #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 with "Bodak Yellow"

Beyonce & Jay Z Confirm Tour