Album Spotlight: Mary J. Blige - My Life




I remember when I bought this album as a cassette. I think my mother was more excited than I was. We both fought to take the wrapper off the cassette. At the time Mary J. had released her first single, "Be Happy" and we would hear it on the radio. Mary J. Blige was my favorite singer at the time and she would be for many years to come.

Over the years this album would become a certified R&B classic masterminded by Diddy and Mary J. Blige. At the time Mary J. was battling her personal demons and all of it spills out on this album. We felt her pain and she sung with equal conviction.

The singles from this album aren't any of Mary's biggest singles but alongside "Be Happy", Mary's remake of "I'm Goin' Down" was the second single. The album's third single was "You Bring Me Joy".

I thought it was so odd how this album had 17 songs. There were 11 on side A and side B had 6 which I thought was even more odd.

Some of my favorite songs are "Mary's Joint", "No One Else", "I'm The Only Woman", "I Never Wanna Live Without You", and many more.

Every few years an album of this stature comes along and many of us celebrate it and are reminded of that time of our lives when we first heard and fell in love with an album. Mary J. Blige's "My Life" is no exception. This is one of the albums you must own in your collection.

----------------
Now playing: Usher - Seduction
via FoxyTunes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wyclef Jean Responds To Scam Accusations!

*UPDATED* Music Feed: Janet Jackson's Most Sexualized Songs: REVISITED

Music Feed: The 2015 Billboard Music Awards