Artist Interview: Dave Raps

Hello all! It has been awhile since I conducted any type of interview. Rapper Dave Raps is the first of many upcoming interviews with up and coming artists you will see. Below you can read an exclusive interview with the man himself. Make sure you check it out! You will definitely be seeing and hearing more from Dave Raps.

Thank you Dave Raps for talking to Cigna's Sights & Views today! Tell everyone how you began rapping?

I began rapping after high school, and I was really trying to see what was going on with my life from then. I never knew I wanted to make music, but I wanted to do something. I saw that my brother was making music and he’s been making music, and I wanted to make music and just to be in that whole scene just because I didn’t see my life going anywhere besides in that direction. I went out and got a fifteen dollar mic from best buy and up until this point I never even rapped or freestyled before. I came home and I downloaded all of the Carter III instrumentals, and I spit over like 6 of the instrumentals, and then I sent it over to my brother and some of my homies and they all said that they had seen potential in the tracks, and off their reactions alone, that was a boost of confidence that I had needed. And then the fact that I got chills when I heard my voice over the beats made me want that feeling all the time just because I had never had that feeling about nothing else in life before. So, I figured that this has been around me pretty much my whole time I was growing up, why not try to do something I love for the rest of my life.
What artists have you been influenced by?

Believe it or not, the first artist that I was a fan of was really Usher. I know it sounds homo, but I really wanted to be a singer. I think it was just because of how many chicks were in their videos. But that was just a phase, and then I went on to another phase, trying to go hard on the court with the whole basketball thing, but then in like 2002, I heard Kanye’s “Through The Wire”, and I was listening to the track on a boombox in my bedroom, and I think that that song alone made me realize that music can incorporate seriousness and still have flavor. Another artist that I’m influenced by is Rick Ross, because with this whole 50 cent beef, he couldn’t be taken down. Being from New York, that 50 vs Rick Ross beef was huge, because we all seen 50 destroy many careers over the years, but Ross was just someone who he couldn’t handle. I think the fact that Ross was less about the beef and more about the music caught everyone off guard, and even caught 50 off guard. So, I just wanted to have that same kind of dedication to my music. And then his rap delivery is one of the clearest in the game. Every word that he spits gets enunciated and stretched to the fullest, and that helps A LOT when you’re trying to make great music. And then to bring it more to date, I’m a big fan of Wiz Khalifa, and it’s just because he sounds like he’s having fun with this shit all the time. On every track he sounds like he’s just having the time of his life, and I feel like that’s how music should sound. And another thing that influences me is the track record of an artist. Like with Wiz, I was listening to him since I saw him in a Vibe magazine like 3 or 4 years ago, and I saw his growth as an artist, and how he found different ways over the years to relate to fans, and I just felt like that was a huge issue with music, that the fans weren’t relating to the artists as much anymore.
How important do you think social networking sites such as facebook and twitter are for up and coming artists or just artists in general?

In today’s day and age, I feel like soon, sites like those will be the ONLY way to network. I think it’s a good way to bond with your fans, and create a good buzz. And also, it helps me to connect with other artists. Because there a lot of up and coming artists out there, and I like to see who I can work with and learn from, because if I can avoid some of the same situations that they had problems with in their music, and see their growth, then that can help me with my career. Other than that, I think it’s a great way to get tons of music out to people in a hurry for sure, and all it costs you is time.
What are your overall plans as a rapper? Do you see yourself venturing into acting and so forth?

As a rapper, I just want to be able to reach as many people as I can with my music. Whether it be, kids who are like me, or even people who are going through some of the same shit I went through to find myself, or even people I can help motivate do whatever they want to do in life. I also want people to see my growth as an artist, from where I started to where I’ll end up. Whether it be a year, two years, three years, whatever the case may be, I want people to see how I end up, and feel like they were just as much a part of this journey as they think. With the acting thing, I really don’t see myself doing that, but I’m always willing to learn new things, and if the opportunity presents itself and I find it’s something I can be good at, then I won’t turn down the chance.
Who are some artists that you would like to see yourself working with in the future?

I would like to work with Swizz Beats, just because I grew up in Yonkers, and I saw what he did with the Ruff Ryders, The Lox and DMX, and even himself as an artist, he brings a level of excitement to music. Whenever he’s involved, it seems like he brings out the best in an artist. Also, I think Kid Cudi is a dope artist, and he has a voice that can’t be replicated. He’s himself to the fullest, and if I was to get the chance to create some music with him, then I know some crazy shit would come from that. And if I got the chance to work with Kanye, I would definitely be there, just because I know that I’d be able to learn a lot from him, and he’d be able to give me gems of wisdom that I could possibly use for the rest of my life. That’s pretty much who I’d want to work with in the future, but on my way there, I’d work with anyone with a good work ethic, and who wants to make music for the same reasons I make music.
Can you describe your process for writing a song?

My song writing process seems complex, but to me it isn't, after I find a concept I think about who can this relate to, what’s the meaning of the song, and what’s the underlying meaning. After that I envision the video or as if I am performing the track, so that I get the right amount of emotion across. Then I spend most of the time trying to find the best first 4 bars, because that’s what brings a listener in, and if it’s trash…then forget it!! After that I just keep trying to create better bars as the verses go along and find different flows and different words for different parts of the song.
Thank you taking the time to speak with me today. Do you have any last words for your fans, followers, and my readers?

I definitely do!!! I'm doing this for all the men and women who ever had any doubt in their mind that they could do something. I waited ‘till I was 18 years old to start rapping, never even freestyled before that, and in about a year and a half I have developed and I am still growing. Anyone can do it, but the dream has to live in you before you can live in the dream. High Life!!!
Now it is time for THIS or THAT:
Burgers or Pizza?Burgers
Nas or Jay-Z Jay-z
Mixtape or Album? Album
New York or L.A.? New York
Recording or Writing? Recording
Reality TV or Sitcom? Sitcom man, I grew up in the Kenan and Kel era.

Click here to hear "I Get Doe" from Dave Raps!

----------------
Now playing: Monica - Let's Straighten It Out ft. Usher
via FoxyTunes

Comments

Priya said…
Very good post. Here is a very good collection of

*** Angelina Jolie Wallpapers

*** Angelina Jolie Bio

*** Angelina Jolie Lips

*** Angelina Jolie DVDs

*** Angelina Jolie Poster

*** Angela Jolie

*** Anjelina Jolie

*** Angelina Lara Croft


on www.hothollywoodactresspics.com for your website, blog, Orkut, Facebook. Just copy and paste the code below the picture you want to show in your blog or website.
Anonymous said…
‎..SUBSTANCE SPEAKS VOLUME! ........ DAVE RAPS - HEARTBEATS iNTRO [HQ], OFF THE "YES i DO" MiXTAPE... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3VW9AWmfrA ..... "HiGH LiFE"

Popular posts from this blog

Music Feed: The 2015 Billboard Music Awards

Cardi B. hits #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 with "Bodak Yellow"

Beyonce & Jay Z Confirm Tour