Album Spotlight: Kelis - Tasty

This is one of my favorite albums of all time so its only right for me to spotlight this album. I take it the majority if not all readers have heard of Kelis and "Milkshake" right? Well anyway her album, "Tasty" is the album that the hit single derives from. I'm really picky when it comes to music and who I like. This is the album that initially made me fall in love with Kelis. This is also the album that made me go back and discover her previous albums. I was actually listening to this album today and recalling how great it is to me.

I can remember it like it was yesterday. Kelis was ruling the airwaves with her hit single, "Milkshake". It was truly the first song from Kelis I actually liked. It was also the same song that would later influence me into buying my first Kelis album. I can remember an old friend of mine playing the album for me and I was so blown away. It was unlike anything I had ever heard for that time. I was easily impressed with every track on Kelis' 2003 gold album, "Tasty". You thought "Milkshake" was a good song, you'd have to hear the rest of the album.

The naughty and somewhat confusing "Intro" track features a playful Kelis and a wacked out guy performing various activities that include "taste" hence the title, "Tasty".

The Dallas Austin produced "Trick Me"(which was the intended 2nd single here in the states) is very witty and playful lyric wise. The beat is very melodic, infectious, and has a ....I can't explain it type feel.

There are so many highlights on this album including some of my personal favorites, "Rolling Through The Hood", "Glow", "Sugar Honey Iced Tea" and many many more.

This was the album that made me love Kelis and appreciate her for the artist she is today. She is often ignored but very influential. Her influence is seen in practically every other female artist in music today. Kelis' "Tasty" and Kelis herself is surely not for everybody as her tastes are a bit acquired. Her music is not your average R&B fare. Her music channels every genre of music imaginable. If you haven't heard this album, I suggest you buy it or listen to it via iTunes orAmazon.

I apologize since I did repeat some of the things I said at the beginning of this post at the end. It's only because I wrote this days ago and the first part is what I made up during the time this was posted. Then again this is my blog and I do what I want!!!! Thank you all for your support and checking this blog out daily! I will be doing a follow-up album spotlight very soon!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I've been a Kelis fan since 1999 and I must agree that Tasty is my favorite album as well. Tasty was/still a fresh album...never gets old. I wish she would've released more singles in the U.S. because the album would've been a huge success for her.
I cannot wait for her new album thats going to drop in 2009.
Unknown said…
Yes I can't wait myself! It's been a long time coming...for a new album!

Popular posts from this blog

Wyclef Jean Responds To Scam Accusations!

*UPDATED* Music Feed: Janet Jackson's Most Sexualized Songs: REVISITED

Music Feed: The 2015 Billboard Music Awards