Album Spotlight: Fantasia - Fantasia




I remember it like it was yesterday. The initial reaction to Fantasia's 2006 self-titled sophomore album. The cover may of not been the most amusing but it was a definitely a work of art. As much as I love Fantasia there are so many things I would change about her image. I will save all that for another post. I am here today to put the spotlight on the "Fantasia" album.

Fantasia's much hyped second album, "Fantasia" was originally titled, "Young Girl Old Soul". It was the follow-up to her platinum 2004 debut which spawned singles such as "I Believe" and "Truth Is". As with all American Idol winners and runner-ups, there is never a huge push for their perspective albums. Usually the labels rely on the popularity of the winner not to mention "American Idol" itself. Had many of these former Idols been promoted properly most of them would be huger superstars and still have record deals.

The album opens with lead single, "Hood Boy" featuring Big Boi of Outkast. The song samples The Supremes' "The Happening" and when the song first leaked it featured frequent usage of the word "nigga". Later on the album version features "dude" in place of the "n" word. Elsewhere on the album Fantasia is allowed to be herself. The problem with that is Fantasia can be downright hood and come off chickenhead-ish on some of the songs. I feel like Fantasia deserves much better material than that though the material is good and varied.

Elsewhere on the album is one of my favorites, "I'm Not The Type", "Two Weeks Notice", "Surround U", and many many more. The album is very playful and very risky because it plays on Fantasia's strong and raspy vocals and her charisma.

You wondering why I featured this album? Well I had been listening to it during my road trip. It's funny cause some albums I won't listen to unless I hit the road.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wyclef Jean Responds To Scam Accusations!

*UPDATED* Music Feed: Janet Jackson's Most Sexualized Songs: REVISITED

Music Feed: The 2015 Billboard Music Awards