2001: A Musical Odyssey

Hello all! 2001 was a great year for music! It was a year that introduced us to several acts(Alicia Keys, Blu Cantrell). It was also a year that welcomed a number of comebacks(Janet Jackson, Michael Jackson). There was such an overwhelming amount of albums released that were really good. Ever since then I have been awaiting another year like that. I decided to take a look back at some of 2001's most popular albums and my personal stories behind them.

Alicia Keys - Songs In A Minor

I remember the huge buzz Alicia Keys had prior to her debut album. Me being the person I am didn't give into the hype. One of my friends got this album and he like many others took this album to platinum heights. This album was responsible for Alicia's first #1 single with "Fallin" and made her a huge superstar.

Blu Cantrell - So Blu
I remember when my friend first introduced me to Blu Cantrell. He had came over my house and played her album for me. I was in love with Blu and the album. The early 2000s were full of male bashing songs especially Blu's "Hit Em Up Style(Oops)" which went to #2 on the Pop charts.

Janet - All For You

Wow! My friend and I had quite a summer with this album. We were so intrigued and fascinated by this album and its lyrical content. At the time no artist was more in touch with her sexuality than Janet. This controversial album had many people talking due to its steamy lyrics and Janet's orgasmic melodies.

Aaliyah - Aaliyah
I was buying albums in 2001 like they were going out of style. Certainly there was an overflow of music that year which inspired this post. I remember being in Best Buy with a friend of mine debating to get Aaliyah or Blu Cantrell. I ended up getting Aaliyah(and Blu later) and didn't like the album right away. It took a few listens before I would appreciate the album for the masterpiece many referred to it as.

Foxy Brown - Broken Silence

Anyone who knows me well knows that I'm a huge Foxy Brown fan. You can only imagine my
excitement getting this album days before its release date. When I would visit my family in Wisconsin, this record store sold albums ahead of their release date. Lucky me!

Missy Elliott - Miss E...So Addictive
I can remember my friend having a damn fit to get this album. When he finally got the album he played it at a cookout he had. It was fun times!

Mary J. Blige - No More Drama

Back in the day I was a huge Mary J. Blige fan. "No More Drama" was the first album from Mary I didn't rush out and buy. I guess I wasn't completely sold on "Family Affair" and her new musical direction. Once I finally got the album, I still didn't get into it. It took me awhile before I appreciated this album for what it truly was.

Michael Jackson - Invincible
I can't sit here and say I'm a big Michael Jackson fan. I do love a lot of his songs though. My friend bought this album and he played it for me. I was surprised at how good it was. It showed that a legend like Mike could still shine and win over a new generation of fans.

Eve - Scorpion

2001 was really when CD burning really started to become more popular. My friend's brother burned CDs and always got the new music ahead of time(like how many of us do now). My friend would then come over and have the latest music. Well one day I was over his house and we listened to the new Eve album. I didn't like Eve(much)after she started talking slick about Foxy. Ha! She had a few decent cuts on here but it wasn't my cup of tea.

Bilal - 1st Born Second
My friend was simply crazy about Bilal. I never understood why either. I never found anything really appeasing about him. I always thought he was very mysterious though. I can't remember this album much but I remember the first single, "Soul Sista".

Nivea - Nivea

I think I got this album from Amazon.com Wow! I really can't remember how and when I got this album. Anyway one of my favorite songs from Nivea appears on this album and that is "Laundromat". I liked Nivea's real-life(and sometimes) ghetto take on love and relationships.

N.E.R.D - In Search Of..
As much as I love The Neptunes I was never big on N.E.R.D. My friend had just got his first car and one of the albums he would play all the time was this. I can't say I remember much about it except for the song, "Lapdance" and the video which I think featured Vita of Murder Inc.

Kelis - Wanderland

Kelis is one of my favorite artists. I didn't really get into her until her 2003 "Tasty" album. When I realized how much I loved that, I went back to her old catalog of albums.

Other Albums:
The Isley Bros - Eternal
Usher - 8701
Mariah Carey - Glitter
Jadakiss - Kiss The Game Goodbye
2 Pac - Until The End Of Time
Angie Martinez - Up Close & Personal
Olivia - Olivia
Ray J - This Ain't A Game
AZ - 9 Lives
Run DMC - Crown Royal
Jagged Edge - Jagged Little Thrill
Lil' Romeo - Lil' Romeo
Destiny's Child - Survivor
Jennifer Lopez - JLO
Maxwell - Now
Jay-Z - The Blueprint
Ginuwine - The Life
Bow Wow - Doggy Bag
Busta Rhymes - Genesis
Fat Joe - J.O.S.E.
Joe - Better Days
Ludacris - Word of Mouf
Christina Milian - Christina Milian
Britney Spears - Britney
Nas - Stillmatic
Ja Rule - Pain Is Love
T.I. - I'm Serious
Macy Gray - The ID
Angie Stone - Mahogany Soul
Toni Braxton - Snowflakes
Destiny's Child - 8 Days Of Christmas
Jill Scott - Who Is Jill Scott?/Experience: Jill Scott

Did I miss an album? I probably did. There were so many albums released in 2001. I think I listed most of them though. If you haven't heard some of these albums check them out at Amazon.com, iTunes, or any other music retailer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wyclef Jean Responds To Scam Accusations!

*UPDATED* Music Feed: Janet Jackson's Most Sexualized Songs: REVISITED

Music Feed: The 2015 Billboard Music Awards