CSV Interview Showcase


*Ryan VanWilliams*

Interview Date: 9/9/07

Ryan VanWilliams is a man of many talents. Two of his main talents happen to be photography and graphic arts. He has so much going on in his life that he can hardly sleep. Ironically he hails from the city that never sleeps, New York, Queens to be exact. With his life in a complete whirlwind, Ryan found time to speak to yours truly and gush about his exciting life. Read Ryan's interview, and after the jump; check out his website.

Ryan, thank you for taking time to speak with me! I know you are very busy. Tell me what is going on with you at this present moment? Where are you? What are you doing?
Yea, I am very busy Lamar. 1000 things going on at once! Currently I am pursuing my Associates Degree in Digital Photography attending CUNY's LaGuardia Community College. I am also working part-time with the MTA at various locations all over New York City.

I was surprised when you hit up the blog. When I asked you about an interview, were you surprised? Did you feel special?
I was really surprised actually. Your blog is music based and my only connection to music is through clients I have worked with within the industry for various projects here and there.

I saw the snapshot of the blog on your site. I was happy to see that even though there was the awareness for why it was really there. Do you get into the blogging scene? Do you read blogs? You ever thought about starting your own?
Yea, in the photography industry there's something known as tear sheets. Basically if your work is published, printed, displayed online, any form of publicity besides from the artists own doing. They'd want to literally tear the page out of the magazine, cut out the article from a paper and save it for reference of the accomplishment. That's why I have a screen shot of your blog. I don't own a blog, never considered having one actually. I barely have time to sleep! Some really close friends of mine have one that they manage though and I've shot some assignments for him in the past that they've used.

I know you did some photography for my boy Leo! I really like the work you did with him. How did you two hook up? What can you tell us about that whole experience?
Thank you, Yea Leo was dope to work with. Well I'm a photojournalist mainly but, fashion, modeling, etc is where its at in the industry right now. I made a listing on craigslist offering my time/shooting for someones willingness to be a subject/model and he took me up on the offer. The experience was ill. Leo was easy to work with, we had dope location in Flatbush, Brooklyn, beautiful weather and great light!

What stimulates you? I would imagine living in New York heavily influences the work you create.
Man I'm as New York as you can get. I'm born and raised in Queens, I even have a tat that says so! Former graffiti artist, former John F.Kennedy Int'l Airport employee and I'm a current MTA employee. I'm all over this city on any given day! I'm talking about Bay Ridge, Brooklyn one day, to Pelham in the Bronx another then to Fox Hills, Staten Island and of course back to eastern Queens where I rest my head at. NYC is my influence, I've seen, heard, and literally been through it all. True story and depending on my assignment or project I like to show the harsh reality of what New York really is. No beautiful postcards, no front page in your history textbook, no Eastside garden shots here.


I understand you took part in a documentary titled, "A Broad Way". What can you tell us about that?
I thrive on being a photojournalist. I like to capture the moment, show things for how they are and what they are. A Broad Way by Saul Goode Entertainment was a day long project that had photographers and film alike. People had brand new HD video cameras, old school 8mm reel cameras, 35mm film, medium format film, digital slr and everything in between. They assigned one or two people to every block that runs along the infamous Broadway. Seriously, from downtown near Wall street all the way up to 207 and Inwood! They gave everyone an hour and some change to get to there locations, we had city permits to allow filming and photography and within one hour had to capture the moments on the assigned block. It was an incredible experience that was amazing to be a part of.

Since this is a music blog, I have to ask you who do you like as far as music is concerned?
Well I'm a fan of many genres. I use to dabble in rock/punk years ago as a skateboarder/bmx'er. Bands such as Nirvana, Metallica, Linkin Park moved me. I'm always a fan of hip-hop. This is where it all started. New York!! NJ and Philly definitely deserve some due credit also. Wu-Tang, DMX, The Lox, The Lost Boyz, KRS-1, Run DMC, Rakim, A Tribe Called Quest, Common. Yo, there's so many cats that paved the way for all this stuff we bump to now I can't list them all. Man, Boyz II Men, LL Cool J, R Kelly, let me stop!

I really enjoyed talking to you Ryan. I must now leave you the chance to speak directly to the readers and subscribers. Any last words for everyone?
First off, I'd like to thank you for the opportunity. We are all starving artists in different mediums that need an outlet to project our voices and convey messages through our art forms and I'm truly grateful for media outlets like yours that allow us to do so. Real recognize real. Plain and simple. I'd like to thank a few hundred people. My loving mother, Veronica. My heart & soul Joyce Lassiter. My fiance Franchesca Guerrero. My mans'z Prestige and ESix of Brooklyn For Hire Entertainment, Stefan and Shawn of Logisama, Andres of The High Life, Jig from S&R Entertainment, Deny1, Rub1, Shirlz, anyone and everyone that has supported me from day one and believed in the kid. I'm talking bout back in Junior High, High School status! True story. Mr. Lee Olshan, Mr. Smith, Mr. Gray, Professor Scott Sternbach, etc. Everything is truly appreciated. FTW!

Like the interview? Leave a comment!
For full bio, photography, graphic arts, and more check out Ryan at:

  • Ryan VanWilliams[Photographer & Graphic Artist]


  • Comments

    Anonymous said…
    yoooo come on the colors is confusing as hell to read fix it later stef from logisama

    Popular posts from this blog

    Music Feed: The 2015 Billboard Music Awards

    Cardi B. hits #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 with "Bodak Yellow"

    Beyonce & Jay Z Confirm Tour