MySpace Profile Showcase - Leo

Leo is just that, a Leo. It is his nickname and stage name in reference to his astrological sign. Say what you want about Leos and you might be talking about "Leo". Leo is a friend to CSV as I have known him for years. I'm familiar with Leo from back in the day with the whole GoldenChylde movement. These days Leo is focusing on other things such as songwriting, his new team, A&R positions, and his work on a big project. Sit back and get to know Leo almost as well as I know him.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

What songwriters have influenced your style of writing?
You know what? That’s a great question! Honestly, I’m not even sure which songwriters have influenced my particular style but I will say the ones who have inspired from then and now are people like Daron Jones (formerly of 112). He’s amazing and phenomenal when it comes to writing and producing. I’d also like to point out that Mary [Mary J. Blige] has come a long way and has shown growth in her writing so I appreciate her work, My Life was a classic R&B record. How can I forget the wonderful Faith Evans, she came in the game and paved the way penning some of your favorite jams and I also respect her work as an artist. Some of my other influences would have to be Ne-Yo, Adonis Shropshire, Johnta Austin, Chucky Thompson, The Clutch and newcomer, Wynter Gordon just to a name a few.

What is the process for you like when you write?
Well, different writers have different methods and procedures on how they begin crafting a song but for me, most of the time, I will be given a track from a producer and I’ll listen to it, if I like it and it’s telling me the story, I’ll start writing to it. Usually, I will begin the first verse if that’s how the track is formatted, but other times, I will hear the hook and melody instantly and jot it down first. It all depends on the mood, how I am feeling at the moment and how my creative juices are flowing at the time. Because like every writer, you know we have something called, “writer’s block” where you get stuck and can’t come up with anything. Sometimes this period can be long, other times it can be instant and very
short-term. I’ll go through a phase sometimes but then I will bounce back and start writing like a beast and it’s crazy!


Who are the individuals that help shape your team?

My writing team consists of some really incredible individuals like Gordon Wilson, Daquan Smith, Kermar Notice, and R&B artist Scorpio. I am also eyeing a couple of other individuals and checking for those with the most potential and just undeniably talented! Also, I’m looking for a real hot female writer right now. She’s got to have it! (think Keri Hilson meets Beyoncé)

What current projects are you working on?

My focus right now in the game is to write beautiful hit songs and hopefully land some placements real soon, that’s first and foremost! So if you hear a crazy radio banger by your favorite R&B and pop artist, it just might be me, someone from my team or us altogether who co-wrote that jam! As far as other projects go, I’d definitely like to push a really great R&B female artist soon, like I said, she’s got to have it cause the competition is stiff right now. We’re talking about the next Mary J. Blige, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston or Beyoncé. I wont settle for anything less! And then I still want to pursue my idea for an all male R&B/pop group. It’s an idea I’ve had for years now but back then, I was trying to be an artist, now I just want to help partake in making them the next big thing in the music industry. I know there really aren’t any male groups or boy bands doing it anymore but I’d like to reinvent a Boyz II Men, a 112, Jodeci or even Dru Hill when you’re talking vocally. I’d like to help brand artists who have star quality and mentality because to me, stars are born, not made or created overnight. So if you got it, bring it!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

What can you tell us about your A&R position?
It’s interesting you mentioned this because it’s kind of like a continuation from the previous question and what I was explaining when I was talking about what it takes to push an artist and the whole nine yard. Well basically, as far as A&R goes, I must say I have an ear for extreme talent, those who are naturally gifted, I can immediately hear and see it when I come in contact with them. But aside from scouting and finding talent, A&R requires a little more then just that. I know as far as me, I am very involved creatively and visually when it comes to an artist’s project. Like I’m the dude who makes it happen, I connect the songwriters and producers with the artists. I will hear a dope track or record and know which artist to pitch it to. Like right now, my boy Scorpio (an artist I’ve been working with for years now) is currently working on his demo for a major label who has already taken interest and I told him that let me A&R your project because at this point, I know his sound and I know the direction in which he is going in and what audience they’re trying to market him to so my job would be easy. I’ve already linked him up some hot up and coming producers on their way to the top in the business. I already know his project is going to be scorching! He will have the best of the best on his team so look forward to that in 2008.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

What artists do you wish to work with in the future?
I’d love to work with Chris Brown, Mary, Cheri Dennis, Ne-Yo, Wynter Gordon, Mario, Usher, Daron Jones, Mario Winans, One Chance, Trey Songz, my boy Mouse Murdah (look out for his album coming later this year!), Mylah (Making the Band 3), as well as others. Too many to name!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

What artists can we find in your IPOD or your CD player?
[Pauses]. Currently, I am listening to Atlantic Records new artist, Wynter Gordon (I’ve been playing a lot of her stuff lately), that new Mario record, “Why” is hot! I’m a big fan of his work. Chris Brown’s new record is cool too, looking forward to the next album. Ne-Yo’s last album was nice, I enjoyed it. Strangely enough, I am actually feeling Amy Winehouse’s “Trouble” and I love Justin Timberlake’s “Summer Love.” Really, I like to rewind time and leave the house with a 90s record in my player, like I was just listening to Mary J. Blige’s My Life but forward to most recently, I been listening to Mario’s first LP as well, they did a great job on that one... vocally, the kid is a monster!

Any last words for the readers here at Cigna's Sounds & Views(CSV)?

Yeah. Just keep your ear to the streets and look out for me and my team, it’s been a long journey but I have finally arrived. Like Adonis said and I quote, “success is when preparation meets opportunity.” Rest assured that greatness is on the way so stay tuned!

Like the interview? Was it long enough for you? Wanna get to know Leo better? Wanna see the pictures in their full size? Check him out at MySpace on the link provided below:



Comments

Jason h said…
Hey! i'm going to cali this sunday.. gonna be there for a week, this is the site i was talking about where i made the extra cash. later!
Unknown said…
Is that the "Having Fun" site?

Popular posts from this blog

Wyclef Jean Responds To Scam Accusations!

*UPDATED* Music Feed: Janet Jackson's Most Sexualized Songs: REVISITED

Music Feed: The 2015 Billboard Music Awards