MySpace Profile Showcase - Jarold Imes

Who says black novels are only about backstabbing, betraying, and baby mama's? Black authors and novels are going beyond the norm. They are exploring topics very meaningful to the black community and beyond. Education, illiteracy, sexuality, and courage are just some of the topics Jarold Imes covers. He is the author of several novels and the teen series, "Hold On Be Strong". Jarold Imes talks exclusively with CSV about being an author, his future goals, and the importance of reading.

Interview Date: 7/9/07


What influenced your foray into becoming an author?
It started out as a school project. I was writing rhymes for my boys so they can perform their projects. They convinced me to write a rap for myself and to get on stage with them. At first I didn’t want to, but then I realized that I loved being on stage, being a performer. So I wrote more rhymes and more poetry. That turned into writing short stories and then came the books.

How do you feel about the current stereotypes most black novels portray?
As a young black man, I feel that in some ways, either way we can’t win. We have to act a certain way, look a certain way. Be a rapper, athlete, drug dealer with several babies mamas and a few kids we may or may not know about. Not all books portray us negatively but many nowadays don’t say nothing positive about black men. There are a few authors who are trying to change that but we’re not getting no love in the industry.

How do you feel your stories will help shape and influence Black America?
With my teen series in particular, I try to pick up where BET’S “Teen Summit” left off. I try to talk about hard hitting issues that we as young black people face and to give youth a tool in which they can discuss these issues with adults. With my adult books, I try to keep it real and not present stereotypical characters. That means having a few people who are overweight with everyday problems who may not be the supermodel dream that everyone seems to be attracted to. I’m talking about people like me.

Would you say being an author provides you some type of escape?
Being an author has its advantages as it can be a stress reliever at times, however, I don’t have the escape folks talk about. Maybe the day will come when I can experience that.

Who are your influences?
I liked Walter Dean Myers growing up and then I started reading all the adult books. I was influenced more so by music than I was any of my fellow authors. Nas, 2Pac (RIP), Snoop Dogg & Tha Dogg Pound, Too Short and then I am a Babyface fan too.

What music artists do you like and which ones shine a positive light in the industry?
Other than my influences, I’d add Warren G. He was positive when he first came out. I’d also say I liked Ludacris, T. I., Musiq Soulchild, Monica, Mary J. Blige, Aaliyah (RIP). Gospel music is probably the most positive form of music out now. Nothing like hearing a soul stirring, hand clapping inspiring word or too especially and right after you get out of church. I can relate to Kirk Franklin in a lot of what he tries to do and people can relate to him, flaws and all.

What do you want readers to take away from your stories?
I want readers to feel empowered to discuss issues as I bring them up in my book but also to take things a step forward and do something about it. I’m not saying a start a nonprofit or a lobbyist group; but simple and effective things that can inspire someone else to do something similar to what you are doing.

Any last words for the readers here at Cigna's Sights & Views(CSV)?
I’m a music fan… both gospel and secular. You can always check me out at either OurTeenVoices or HoldOnBeStrong. I hope you enjoy my books and feel free to let a brother know what you think.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wyclef Jean Responds To Scam Accusations!

*UPDATED* Music Feed: Janet Jackson's Most Sexualized Songs: REVISITED

Music Feed: The 2015 Billboard Music Awards